View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #23
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Thumbs up 4th stage HER-2+ and thriving

Dear Kim,

I've never been on this site before. My husband just found it. I was diagnosed with 4th stage lobular breast cancer in '95. I had extensive mets into the liver in '98 (around when Her-2 was newly discovered and Herceptin was still in clinical trials and unavailable to the general public). 1 month after my 2nd diagnosis, testing 80% positive for HER-2, Herceptin was fast-tracked. I started taxotere w/herceptin in Nov. of '98. Taxotere was every 3 wks through May '99. Herceptin was once a wk, no matter what, for yrs. Since May '99 I have been NED (no evidence of disease). A few yrs ago I began triple the dosage every 3 wks (waiting a year while the new protocol was being tested in France). I now do every 4-month CT scans (chest/abdomen/pelvis) -- graduating from every 8 wks. to every 3 months to this. I continue to show NED. I do ECHO cardiagrams every 6 months, to check for possible heart failure symptoms, due to possible side effects of Herceptin. MY EF (Ejection fraction is above 50, which makes me good to go). I have a small amount of peri-caridial fluid around my heart since Taxotere. That remains stable. The fluid around my lungs from Taxotere disappeared after use. I do pelvic sonograms every 6 months to be told my ovaries are visualized and beautiful. I feel really good. Some dipping of red blood cells (doing CBC blood tests with ea. treatment) -- so I now get Aransesp (which does the job, boosting me and my energy level, and lasts longer than Procrit). I was diagnosed at 50, post-menapausal. Reading the statistics, I was given less than a 15% chance of surviving 2 yrs. I AM A PERSON, NOT A STATISTIC. And besides, "someone" has to fall in that little group! WHO ARE THEY? I BELIEVE THEY CAN BE ME -- AND YOU!! I decided to join that club, emphatically. I meditate, go deep within and connect with a power that activates my natural ability to self-heal. It grants me strength, courage, joy and peace -- knowing, beyond all doubt, that I will survive and thrive, that I am empowered -- and so is EVERY ONE OF US! I live each day full of love. awe and gratitude (for my personal empowerment and for the gift of each new day).

Sending healing energy and prayers... Anxious to hear back from you (noting your posting is not current). BE WELL!

With love,
ANDREA (Andi)
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote