View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
1rarebird

Re: Is it common side effect?

pibikay I believe that drop in the white blood cell count is very common for patients receiving chemotherapy. It was so in my case and my doctor warned me that I needed to do everything reasonable to avoid contacting pathogens. That included carefully watching the cleanliness of the food I ate and avoiding contact with people who were sick or had been in contact with sick people. It sounds like your wife is getting good care with antibiotic administration. Of course a sudden dramatic rise in temperature would indicate a condition that likely requires more aggressive care such as given in hospital. My advice would be to monitor the temperature frequently and carefully, keep your wife well hydrated with clean water, follow the instructions carefully for taking the antibiotics, and of course stay in contact with your doctor.

Hoping the best for you and your wife--

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote