View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
Aussie Girl

Re: worried: bumps on scar line - biopsy indicates allergy

Dear Alice,
Atypical vascular lesion is something that occurs in women who have had breast cancer and radiation. It is usually solitary but some times multiple. The lesions are usually small, 5 to 10mm. The majority are benign. They may recur if not completely excised. They are thought to very rarely progress to angiosarcoma which is a bad vascular tumor. However, angiosarcoma occurs in a fraction of a percent of breast cancer patients anyway, so the link between the two is still somewhat in doubt.
The main issue is that these lesions mimic angiosarcoma under the microscope so the pathologist needs to take care to make the right diagnosis. The CD31 is a marker of endothelial cells which line the blood vessels, proving the lesion isn't recurrent carcinoma.
I'm having my Herceptin infusion right now. I will look up some info and if I find anything else I'll let you know.
Don't get too concerned about this lesion but consider re-excision if you only had a biopsy and report any similar lesions immediately to the doctor.

Cheers

Aussie Girl
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote