View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
CoolBreeze

Re: Need some advice

Hi Tracy,

I think cancer does bring out your natural tendencies; whether pessimistic or optimistic.

Tracy, here is my mastectomy story: I had beautiful breasts. Beautiful. Somebody once offered me $500.00 just for a look and they said my boyfriend could be there - just wanted a glance. (I didn't take him up on it.) I stopped traffic with my breasts.

As I aged, my breasts didn't. Dorian Gray breasts, I called them. I was very very lucky - everybody has one good physical feature, and my breasts were mine. My face is blah, my arms and legs are sticks, but my breast/waist/hip ratio was perfect. And, I too hate fake boobs.

I fought very hard for a lumpectomy, but there was too much cancer. So, I opted for a uni because I wanted to keep one - why cut off a healthy breast?

I thought I would be devastated, since I was so dependent on that one feature to feel beautiful.

But, as it turns out, I wasn't.

Once the surgery was done and the hard part of looking the first time was over, I found it didn't bother me at all. Not even the smallest bit. I didn't get a perfect reconstruction either, and that doesn't matter. I look normal in clothes and that is good enough for me. I don't look at myself in horror in the mirror. It's still my body, just different.

I wish I could tell you why the angst fell away. I guess I realized I had no choice, I had more things to live for than my breasts.

That sadly, was driven home for me, big time, with a stage IV diagnosis 18 months after the mastectomy. Breasts? Bah! Who cares - you will get to see your kids graduate from high school, go to college, get married - weddings, grandchildren. Those are the things that matter.

Being a pessimistic sort, you may have to work at gaining that attitude. If the surgery is over, you are recovered, and you still feel that way, try some positive affirmations. Put encouraging statements on your bathroom mirror, where you can see them regularly. "We are not our bodies - we are our families" stuff like that.

Make it the "lesson of cancer" to try to cultivate an optimistic attitude a little more often.

I find that people who are self-conscious about their new bodies seem to think people are sneaking glances or noticing. I have never once noticed that, and I tell a lot of people I have had a mastectomy, I'm quite public about it. If you see somebody glance down, I interpret as a normal glance down. You might interpret it as somebody "trying to see." You will be more self conscious with a pessimistic mindset. So, be aware of that. I have found that most people don't think about you near as much as we think they do.

Keep all that in mind as you recover.

And, know you aren't alone, most of us have faced fear and worry about mastectomy and what it will do to our image of ourselves. I certainly did and was surprised at my "it doesn't matter" attitude. If you are one of the many who finds that their image is changed, than you need to work to overcome that. You really are the same wonderful wife and mother you always have been, and it's important to focus on that.

You are way ahead of the game knowing what your difficulty may be, and I have every confidence you will overcome it.

Good luck to you and big hugs.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote