View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
twosenuf99

Need some advice

This is the only support group I have joined since my diagnosis.. I find myself needing some advice from the women who have come before me that has survived this horrible disease..

When I was initially diagnosed I had the attitude "it is what it is" but as the last few months have progressed with doctors appointments, tests, and treatments I have grown very very angry and depressed. When I was told my only option was a mastectomy it felt like someone punched me in the stomach. No offense to anyone but I have always hated the "fake" boobs and now that I am in this position I can not seem to change my mind. I know for survival for my children a mastectomy with reconstruction is the only choice I can make but it does not make this any easier to swallow..

I have always been a blah, pessimistic person. Now as I am less than 2 weeks from surgery I find myself crying more and more. II can not seem to look at this as yes I will lose my breasts but I will be alive. I even asked my surgeon what the chances of recurrence without surgery would be. (90%).Since I have 11 year old twins I can not take the chance but I am not sure I will ever survive this ordeal mentally. I have already begun pushing friends and family away because I feel as though I am turning into a freak after surgery.

I know there are many of you out here who have gone through the same things I am going through and maybe more and I know this is something I just have to suck up and deal with but I need to know how others have gotten past the anger and depression.. At this moment I am not sure I ever will..

Sorry this is so lengthy and really nothing but me blabbering.. My thoughts are with all of you everyday.

Hugs
Tracy
Diagnosed right Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer which spread to my lymph node 5-13-2011.
Between Stage 2 and 3 with tumors grade III. ER/PR- but Her2neu+++
PET Scan clear
Breast MRI showed 2 masses in left, 5 in the right and 2 in the lymph node.
Biopsy of left mass benign
Joined clinical trial which required second biopsy of one of the right masses
Port placed May 27, 2011
Began Chemo (Taxol, Herceptin and Tykerb) on June 1, 2011 - September 12, 2011
Bi-lateral Mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders) October 3, 2011
FEC 12 weeks
Radiation 6 weeks
Herceptin 8 months finish September 2012
Exchange surgery August 3, 2012
Been NED since October 2011
Lymphedema right arm since Nov 2013
twosenuf99 is offline   Reply With Quote