View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
R.B.

Elaine - More Salmon

Farmed Salmon is likely to be higher in Omega 6, although providing long chain Omega 3. Natural fish has a much higher ratio of Omega 3:6. See www.nutritiondata.com Small oily fish are a better choice as they like all fish provide all round nutrition. Fish oil provides the Omega 3 and the best ones are distilled so removing many of the pollutants.

Kim in DC.

I am sorry I cannot give guidelines as I am not an expert. Also there is a lack of agreement among the experts. If you read through the Greek Diet thread you will see some medical professionals head towards 3 grams a day of EPA plus DHA combined. Others suggest lower amounts. Some of this board have had benefits in inflammatory conditions with a couple of dessert spoons of fish oil a day which is more than 3 grams a day. A trial suggested the uptake in women drops off at about 2 grams of DHA a day which would be 2 about 2 small desert spoon (4 teaspoons). I would vote with the towards 3/4 grams DHA and EPA combined total a day rather than the low end based on reading round the subject for those trying to correct historic imbalance.

As well as including long chain sources it is equally as much about reducing the Omega 6 mother fat intake to balance the Omega 3 mother fat.

Please discuss dietary change with your Doctor. For a few Omega 3s can have side effects including blood thinning.

R.B.

www.omegasixthedevilsfat.com

Last edited by R.B.; 06-22-2008 at 11:19 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote