View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #77
AlaskaAngel

Question Re: Breast cancer, and seeking advice

Hi Rich,

Yes, I know. I still do not understand why, when I asked the endocrinologist for a low dose of metformin last year, he didn't go for it and just give me the Rx for it. I think maybe he was distracted at the time by the issues of loss of libido and the reduced effectiveness of the Estring that was resulting in dyspareunia. I was rather annoyed when he suggested just having a tummy tuck... yes, that might provide some better self-image, and it might even reduce the amount of aromatase produced to a minor degree, but I'm interested in all-around weight loss for survival primarily, with appearance being secondary. I will be seeing the endocrinologist again soon and taking a copy of my August annual physical exam done by my NP here (with copy of the exorbitantly expensive labs). I want to try to pin down what the scientific basis is for the calorie recommendation obtained with the MedGem testing and why it was so far off the mark for me. My suspicion is that it is designed to work for the general population but may be actually detrimental for someone who is insulin-resistant or someone who has metabolic syndrome. It is a mystery to me.

In terms of metformin, I would like to have a better comprehension of just how it actually works. If it doesn't "speed up" the metabolism (? does it?) then what does it do, that apparently in addition reduces risk.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote