View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Rich66

So good to see you posting.
My mom felt exactly what you feel now in September. The digestion issues/fullness went away but she has had continued visible swelling.

Are you taking the IP6 with Inositol?

Sorry if you've already addressed this: Have you consulted Swedish hospital in CO about liver directed therapy? (Dr. Nutting)
Have you had/considered a Her2 serum test?

Did you progress on Taxotere?

S-1 is being studied in the US now..might be available off protocol. Similar to Xeloda but, as I have been told:

"it has DPD inhibitor, so more dose in body for longer and no G toxicity"
M. Wasif Saif, MD, MBBS
Associate Professor
Co-Director, GI Cancers Program
Yale Cancer Center
Yale University School of Medicine
P: 203-737-1569
F: 203-785-3788
wasif.saif@yale.edu

An oldie but maybe a goody. I have this in my file:

1989: Okino T; Kan N; Nakanishi M; Satoh K; Mise K; Yamasaki S; Teramura Y; Hori T; Kodama H; Ohgaki K
[The therapeutic effects of OK-432 (Picibanil )combined adoptive immunotherapy (AIT) against liver metastases of breast cancer]
Gan to kagaku ryoho. Cancer & chemotherapy 1989;16(4 Pt 2-3):1913-9.

We studied the effect of OK-432 combined AIT in 24 cases of liver metastases of breast cancer. Eleven of the 16 patients (69%) who received intraarterial transfer responded to this therapy. On the other hand, no patients responded to intravenous or intraportal transfer. The minimum cell number for a therapeutic response was 10(9) cells. Four patients had abscopal effects after therapy. The serum CEA level paralleled the therapeutic effects. There were no severe side effects accompanying this therapy. These results indicate that intra-arterial OK-432 combined AIT should be the first choice therapy against liver metastases of breast cancer.

Picibanil: A lyophilized preparation of a low-virulence strain (SU) of Streptococcus pyogenes (S. hemolyticus), inactivated by heating with penicillin G. It has been proposed as a noncytotoxic antineoplastic agent because of its immune system-stimulating activity.

1: Oncol Rep. 2005 Feb;13(2):289-94.Links
Inhibitory effects of OK-432 (Picibanil) on cellular proliferation and adhesive capacity of breast carcinoma cells.

Horii Y, Iino Y, Maemura M, Horiguchi J, Morishita Y.
Department of Thoracic and Visceral Organ Surgery, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3-39-22 Showa-machi, Maebashi, Gunma 371-8511, Japan. y.horii@jcom.home.ne.jp
We investigated the potent inhibitory effects of OK-432 (Picibanil) on both cellular adhesion and cell proliferation of estrogen-dependent (MCF-7) or estrogen-independent (MDA-MB-231) breast carcinoma cells. Cellular proliferation of both MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells was markedly inhibited in a dose-dependent manner, when the carcinoma cells were exposed to OK-432. Cell attachment assay demonstrated that incubation with OK-432 for 24 h reduced integrin-mediated cellular adhesion of both cell types. However, fluorescence activated cell sorter (FACS) analysis revealed that incubation with OK-432 for 24 h did not decrease the cell surface expressions of any integrins. These results suggest that the binding avidity of integrins is reduced by OK-432 without alteration of the integrin expression. We conclude that OK-432 inhibits integrin-mediated cellular adhesion as well as cell proliferation of breast carcinoma cells regardless of estrogen-dependence, and that these actions of OK-432 contribute to prevention or inhibition of breast carcinoma invasion and metastasis.

Maybe new info will come out of The liver symposium is in Chicago starting May 14th.
http://theliversymposium.com/
I may go to this. It has doctors and patients involved in the numerous presentations. If it isn't being taped by someone else, I might tape it myself.

What does your onc say?
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote