Thread: "Just Breathe"
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Paula O

"Just Breathe"

I read a post in a blog today and appreciate these thoughts for when the Her2 and other storms of life come like a flood:

http://www.maryannemorganblog.com/musings/just-breathe/

"There are some days when the warfare is so intense it’s all I can do to be still. The battle within rages and I just want to DO something about it all, but don’t know how or where to start. The arrows fly straight into me, hitting their mark without fail. Grief, sadness and fear grip me. I often cannot see my way out on these days, but I have learned a few things that help. I thought I would share them if you have days like this too.
Just breathe. We cannot live without breathing. This moment will pass and so will the next, until we can get to a moment that feels doable again. When I lost a child in 2006 I had panic attacks around the clock. Chris would often hold me, coaching me to breathe in and out slowly until they would pass. I will never forget that.
Be kind to yourself. I don’t know where we got the idea that being hard on ourselves is a noble thing. It is in fact the opposite. Take a walk. Watch a funny show. Read scripture out loud (the words of life). Call a friend who loves you. Eat chocolate if you need to.
Don’t make any big decisions. This is an important one for me. When my perspective is wonky I cannot make any important decisions. i.e. ”I am quitting my business” or ” I’m moving to California”. On these days I try to busy myself instead with feasible projects like ordering small spaces in my home or just doing laundry. Sometimes passing time and staying productive on a simple level is enough.
Pray. This one may seem like it should have been first, but I cannot always make it first on days like this. I just wanted to give you the same grace. Sometimes we have to level out a bit before we can pray like we want to. God is always present, full of love and compassion and ready to hear you. He loves you deeply and will give you what you need. Often we cannot feel his presence on the dark days. Call a friend who will help you if you need reminding that he is there. I needed this often during my grieving season. I had a friend who would just say over and over to me “God is with you”. I cannot express how much that meant to me.
Mercies will be new in the morning. So rest. I don’t know why these days come, but God will get you through."
Lamentations 3:22-23 ~”Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.”
http://www.maryannemorganblog.com/musings/just-breathe/
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote