View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Merridith

Chemo brain help

I had a very tough time with chemo brain as well.

It was instrumental in my being unable to stay with my job.

I found that the chemo brain symptoms actually continued to get worse for about 3-4 months after my last chemo treatment.

The two things that I thought helped most were exercise & studying. I took college classes to exercise my brain.

I estimate that it has taken about 5 years to get back to normal. I just wish that there were more studies and recognition for how handicapping this disability is.

I have just started taking progesterone for hot flashes. This drug seems to have cleaned up the last bit of fog from my brain. There are studies out there indicating that progesterone has a positive impact on memory, although I didn't know this when I started taking it.

There are certain risk factors associated with taking progesterone, but I was willing to take them to get a normal life back.

In terms of coping - I kept a journal of activities & lists. I also kept shorthand notes of telephone conversations - so I could remember who/what I told things to. I kept a calendar of appointments and set an alarm to ring to remind myself when an appointment was due (in enough time to get out the door)

I always kept a pen in my car so that I could write down my parking space location!!!!!!!

I bought a filing cabinet & created a filing system so I could find things.

Last edited by Merridith; 03-08-2009 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Adding detail
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote