View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Colleen007

WOW! You are a pretty amazing woman! If my circumstances were different, I may have tried to work through chemo. I was technically on maternity leave when I had my lumpectomy, etc. But shortly after the surgery, I found out I was stage IV. And not knowing if I had 2 years or 20 years to live, I decided NOT To go back to work because I didn't want to have regrets on my deathbed that I could have been spending time with my new baby instead of working. Since then, my onc. has been continuing to support my long-term disability claims, so at least I get some income and health insurance from my prior employer (of course, since I still go for chemo every week, it is not a stretch for her to support me). It is a tough decision and only one that you can make. But, if your company offers disability benefits and will still continue your health insurance coverage (provided that you continue to pay your employee share), it may be worth it to take the time for YOU and put your all into getting well (instead of trying to spread yourself thin at work and at home).

Also, I had a pretty "easy" time with Taxol, but know 2 other people that I have met on this journey who had a really tough time with Taxol's side effects. Since you won't know how it will impact you until the treatments start up, that may be another reason to consider taking a leave until you finish your treatments.

Good luck with everything.
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote