View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
pffida

Working during chemo

I worked the entire course of A-C and then three rounds of Taxol/Herceptin (didn't receive last Taxol because I was allergic to it). I continue on with Herceptin.

I am the director of an Information Technology Department in a bank. I used to work about 60 hours per week, but cut it down to 40 hours per week. One thing that really helped was the ability to telecommute. I actually worked on infusion days, expecially Taxol/Herceptin which was 5-1/2 hours. I'd bring my laptop with a wireless EVDO card and was able to work. I also went home early on those days when I was just too tired (generally on the 3rd day after A-C). I also have a flex schedule, with every other Friday off. Through it all, I never had to call in sick at all (other than the two weeks I took off for the RMR).

I didn't have radiation, although two women who work for me did. Both women needed to take time off for that -- they just became too physically tired. Both of them have high contact jobs (lots of phone calls with problems to resolve every day). My job is different -- I don't do day-to-day support and if I'm not there, I have several managers who can take over.

I also think it depends upon what your home situation is. I have a very helpful husband and my children are grown. If I had to come home every night and cook dinner, that would have been difficult. During the beginning of chemo, my sleep greatly increased, sometimes 12 hours per night, so you also need to account for that.

I also think it depends upon your state of mind. I had a choice to go out on disability and chose not to. I was concerned about being gone from work so long and really didn't want people to focus on that. Plus, I felt good and couldn't image sitting at home all day.

So, I think it depends a lot upon your kind of job and your family situation. If your company is highly dependent upon your being on top of things, very responsive, and you have lots of day-to-day responsibilities, then I think working through chemo may still be doable, but radiation probably isn't. If you have a job like mine, with some flexibility, a very understanding boss, and good staff under you, then chemo is very doable, but I still think radiation would be difficult. If you have few demands at home, it's more likely that working through treatments will be an option for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote