Thread: Am I Obsessed?
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #13
Joanne S

My biggest thanks to all of you for your support, honesty and genuine kindness. I am very touched by all your comments.

I am on Zoloft (been on it for 13 years) and my doctor increased my dosage last week. I lost my terminally ill daughter in 1989 and I was never the same since. I didn't want any depressions medication because I thought I was entitled to feel devasted and depressed. It took me 5 years to finally give in and start Zoloft in 1994.

My mother died of breast cancer met to bones in Sept 5, 1996---11 years ago. She had back pain for over 2 years, 1992-1994, lots of doctor visits, ER visits, inpatient stays, tests etc, but was never diagnosed until a very young resident in the ER looked at her back x-ray and pulled me aside and told me she has cancer tumors everywhere and she was terminal. That was in 1994. The doctor said she had less than 6 months. She fought it tooth and nail with her fighting negative attitude. She did not want to die and it was very obvious; however, she never uttered the word cancer (it was taboo). She refused Chemo and Radiation (torture). She survived 2 years on Tamoxifen and Morphine alone. She believed eating 4 times a day was fighting her ... We never talked to an oncologist, and at the time, I did not know enough to ask why kind of breast ... or any questions ---I was in shock. I had no clue and she didn't want to know anything so unfortunately I never asked.
So you see I have been on this road before. It took a long time for me, but I improved gradually and greatly over time. I learned understanding, compassion, what was truly important in life, and what had value in life.

Recommended by my oncologist, I went to see a physiatrist today, he specializes in breast cancer pain and lymphedema. I was delighted to find hope in treating my severe post-mastectomy pain. Amazing--he evaluates and treats over 1,200 patients a year. And he told me to stay off the internet as there is a tremendous amount of information that is not validated or confirmed or misleadling. He prescribed Lidoderm patch and Neurotin. He showed me what exercises to do and which to stop doing (the ones my previous PT advised me to do). To my surprise, during my examination he found a pinched nerve in the area, and he also found a specific area of arm weakness--- I never realized I had either. He also validated that those problems along with breast nerve and muscle pains were compounding the condition. He is sending me for PT with a therapist that specializes in breast shoulder and arm pain only. He has a wonderful bedside manor and sense of humor along with tremendous experience and expertise in this area. I left his office feeling uplifted and hopeful and was positively effected with his understanding of my condition.

I am taking in all the advice, suggestions and examples of experiences, not just from this doctor, but from all of you---my cancer sisters. Your supportive responses, understanding and advice along with sharing your personal experiences has deeply touched me! You all truly understand.

Thank you---all of you---Thank you! Hugs XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
And Well Wishes to all of you! You have pointed me in the right direction on the road for improvement.

PS ( I really enjoyed all the chinese hamster comments on my other post. Humor is great medicine! If you haven't seen it, be sure to check it out.
Herceptin---did you know
link: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...33015#poststop )
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote