View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Shirley

Re: Radiation Questions

ClarkA,

My last radiation was in early December and the only thing I see now is a slight tanning of the skin under my arm, sort of like a shadow. I suspect that will go away over time. It seems as though my surgery scar is less visible after radiation too, although that could just be from the passage of time.

The actual radiation treatments were difficult for me because my joints are so sore from chemo and it was hard to keep my arms raised above and behind my head. Once they began placing bolsters under my arms it was much better. The Radiation Therapists were helpful. Still, once my skin started to get burned I was not a happy camper. I didn't think it was possible it would heal, but it did, and rapidly. I used Aquaphor and emu oil but I've heard good things about aloe too. It can be a sticky mess though!

I agree that it's good to run these questions past the radiation oncologist--your wife will probably meet with that person regularly (for me it was once a week, on "doctor day"). I was frustrated because I was not told in advance exactly how many treatments there would be (just something vague like "6 weeks" which was not entirely accurate), or that there would be boosters. I think the medical folks take those details for granted, but I'd advise always asking these questions upfront so that you aren't disappointed to have painful skin and then be told there are 3 extra treatments plus 5 boosters to go (boy was I mad!). Also, the boosters aren't the same as regular radiation. Those didn't bother me, other than the fact that I had to go to the rads clinic every day for them. Nobody in the medical field seems to have an understanding that some of us are taking time off from work or other responsibilities and that it is a big deal to be going through this. I did experience some of the "talk to the hand 'cause the face don't wanna hear it" attitude from the rads docs. I guess it's hard to hear it over and over from patients, but still....

As far as whether she could have a smaller area radiated, I think most docs would say it's either radiation or no radiation. I don't think there is an inbetween, but you should ask. IT REALLY IS THE PATIENT'S CHOICE. I considered not having the radiation, but for my profile I figured it really should be done. I might have decided against it if I had a different situation because I'm suspicious about this whole business anyway. It is my understanding that rads are usually recommended if a lumpectomy is done, so it is probably the standard protocol. Besides the breast and nodes under one arm they also radiated an oblong shaped area near the clavicle (that area is also tan now). Usually the techs will be happy to explain exactly where they are using radiation (docs might be bored to spend time discussing it LOL) .

Good luck to your wife. The radiation will be over before she knows it!

Shirley
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote