View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
CarolineC

Re: The Ketogenic Diet/Sugar Influence in Cancer

Karen,

Interesting that you're posting things I have recently talked about with a doctor. In my very long thread today I didn't mention that after I had my appts with the rad onc, and other onc in Kelowna, I then travelled to a place outside of Van called Fort Langley, where there is a board certified naturopathic oncologist. He was recommended to me by another doctor in Van a few years ago.

I really liked him. His office is actually more integrated, which I think is definitely the way to go. Here is the website http://www.integratedhealthclinic.com/ Click on the tab that says CancerCare, then on the tab on the left called Cancer treatment and DCA is there. He suggested a ketogenic diet and I have a handout on DCA in my papers. We have to be so proactive in our healthcare, don't we? When I was going over my history he was writing, but stopped, looked up, and said "are you a nurse?". You know, with our healthcare systems, be it a small town or a big city, we have to stay on top of our health. When I went through early stage treatment I trusted the healthcare professionals to look after me. When the cancer metastasized I realized I had to become very involved and this site has helped me to do that with its invaluable information and members. Our province has had so many cutbacks with healthcare and education that people are falling through the cracks. Every time Vancouver has a big party I know we're going to lose something important in our area as a result.

Anyway, after my consultation with him, I am in the process of processing. As with anyone I talk to, I like to gather information, then make a decision. He recommended metformin as a possible treatment (I had missed the clinical trial for breast cancer by two weeks) and said all of his metastatic breast cancer patients are on it. He explained about it being an ALK and mTor inhibitor, as well as aspirin because it is a COX1 inhibitor. (I think? I will have to listen to my tape)

I can identify about the sugar-when we were in Vancouver I ate and drank things I don't normally have, and I had such tiredness you would have thought I had drank alcohol and all I had was sugar, chocolate and tea!
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote