View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Becky

Re: Lower dose of AI revisited

At least for Arimidex - there was a trial on dosing (1mg versus 10 mg) and the higher dose wasn't any better than the lower dose.

That said, the half life of Arimidex is 50 hours (after 50 hours, half the drug is still in the body). Also, estrogen suppression continues for 6 days after one stops taking it. Soo... there is probably clinical benefit in taking it everyday because one might actually need more than the 1mg. Kind of like when you start Herceptin, you take a larger dose the first time because you need a certain amount in the body - when you get the second dose, although smaller, there is Herceptin left because the half life is so long.

It would be difficult to know how much of Arimidex (I am using Arimidex in this example because that is what I take) is the therapeutic amount as it might actually be more than the 1mg because of the half life.

(I did look online and Femara's half life is 2 days and Aromosin is 27 hours so these drugs are trickier and should probably be taken more "on time" than even Arimidex).

I think a discussion with your onc is in order because if you don't take a drug the right way, it will not work so what's the point of paying for it. Therefore, if you are so close to the 5 yr mark, either finish up or quit alittle early.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote