Thread: Joy Column
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #58
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Talking Our *boys* Are Such Fun!

My boys, twin Maltese brothers Paul and I rescued 4 yrs ago, bring so much joy and love into this house, we are always calling one another to come look at this. Chase (12 lbs) and Scamp (8 lbs) are all white with huge doe-shaped black eyes and back noses. They survived together (kept in a tiny cat carrier all day and night). The rescue lady showered with them 4 X she said, to get all the urine and feces off of them. They'd been scared by taunting children banging on their crate as pups apparently. They had mange (mites that attack the entire body and further compromise the immune system, I learned). Chase was the worst. The hair on his face and neck fell out, leaving red raw skin, like a burn victim. He wouldn't eat or drink or come near us. We bathed them daily in special shampoo and loved them up with pets and hugs and kisses and prayers and meds -- and (you know ME) lots of HEALING ENERGY, all day and through the nights. I *nursed* them back to wellness, I swear.

After a few mnths, the vet was amazed that Chase survived. Paul asked why. They usually don't make it when they're that bad off. I wouldn't hear of that, of course. They wake up, in bed with us, always up against one another and at least one of us and then they *groom* one another, licking the other's face and ears clean. This morning that romped. It's a kind of dance, boxing each other with gentle growly sounds. Then all excited, Chase runs and Scamp follows. Originally, because Chase was so sick, Scamper scampered through the house and Chase chased after him. He was a lot slower moving as he was so sickly. We thought he just wasn't too bright, as he reacted so sluggishly. We thought he didn't get it. But he's brave and strong. And little Scamp, our coward, courageously stood in front of Chase whenever we approached, barking and *protecting* his weaker bro (we now realize).

Chase actually had a chemo-like bath at the vet at first, to kill off the mites. They dipped one paw, then after a while another, and eventually the whole dog. They let me take him home as we concurred home is where they are happiest. I stayed up that night w/him because he had these twitching fits the vet had warned me about. He was obviously in a lot of pain. I totally related. I held him tight against me and talked to him softly, telling him I'd stay w/him and reassuring him that he'd be all right, trying to lessen the jerking of his body. After that, the vet wouldn't give him any more baths, but -- he came through. Our boys are healthy and frisky and bless our home with loving energy every single day. Paul and I each delight at watching their shenanigans. They are precious. Know all you animal lovers understand our pride and joy. We have two little white things to be happy about. People tell us they're lucky we found them. We feel just the opposite. We're so lucky to have them. I swear they recognize the sound of a styrofoam doggie box of leftovers from a local restaurant as it comes out of the refrigerator and come running to anxiously watch me divide up the booty! With much appreciation...

Andi

AndiBB@aol.com
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote