View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
anna4969

Re: Is weekly Herceptin common?

Rich66, if your mom is a bit frail, I personally would do the once a week. I say this because, by choice I did weekly Herceptin for most of my Herceptin treatment, but then switched over to every 3 weeks due to my participation in a vaccine trial. When I switched over to the every 3 week regiment, I happened to have a muga several days later and my ef dropped significantly. It has since come back to normal while I have continued the 3 week regiment. But I do notice more issues like muscle pain type of symptoms with the 3 week dosing. Even my nails and hair growth seem very stunted since changing to the 3 weeks. The weekly dose, I believe, is much gentler on a person's system. And that would make sense because during the 3 week administration, one is getting 3 times the amount. The only downfall, in my opinion, is the weekly trip to the hospital. And, in my experience, the weekly dosing and the 3 week dosing take the same amount of time. They run both options over 30 minutes. After all is said and done, one can pretty much figure an hour, including the accessing, the fluids beforehand and afterwards. Personally, I liked the once a week dosing as I always felt it kept a very even level in my bloodstream where as with the 3 week dosing, I feel there is more of a spike of the medicine and then a slow diminishing as weeks two and three go by. I don't know, I am not basing this on facts, just a gut feeling. In any event, I am just happy there is such a medicine like Herceptin that can help us fight this ugly stuff. Best wishes to your Mom and you.
anna4969 is offline   Reply With Quote