View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #3
Unregistered

Hi Lynn,
I am not at my regular computer so I can't log in with my user name, but I felt I had respond to your post as many others will. First of all no one can say how long you have and many with stage 4 breast cancer live years. Unless you only have weeks I would find an oncologist who does not tell you how long you have. I have been stage 4 since May 04 and still teach 3rd grade full time. In 2004 I had it everywhere including a 3cm tumor in my brain. It no longer shows up on pet scans except in the bones. For me, Herceptin alone got me that far. I am currently dealing with the bone issue and had to add Navelbine.

You are a survivor as long as you are alive. I also thought I wasn't when I progessed to stage 4, but my beliefs were corrected at by a social worker at the cancer center where I am treated.

Again, it is important that you find someone treating you that gives you hope. I noticed that you live in Michigan. I would go to the University of Michigan for a second opinion. If it is not too far I would go for treatment. My sister, who is at high risk because of me, has consulted there and is very pleased with the services she has received there.

You have come to the right place to receive hope, information, and support. Good luck. You will learn to live with this new fork in the road and yes, you will also have a life.

Best wishes,
Barbara H.