View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #27
mjm

Re: Just Starting Our Fight, Help.

I don't know if they have them where you live, but there was a free session we went to called 'look good feel better' (or something like that) that had lots of beauty tips for women going through chemo. Mum's not usually that into make-up and stuff, but it was a lot of fun, and the woman from the wigs & turbans shop tried some really beautiful things on her.
She's never been blonde, and wasn't planning on getting a wig, but ended up buying a gorgeous short blonde bob that is stunning on her. Of course she'd rather not be bald, but there is fun to be had in trying new looks, & I wouldn't be surprised if she still wears the wig occasionally after her hair is back. The session had tips on how to use eyemakeup and eyebrow pencil if you lose your lashes and brows - but not everyone does.

It can be good to start trialling the new looks before her hair goes too - start wearing the turbans/ scarves / wigs round the house a bit so you all, including your daughters get used to it before the hair actually goes which can be a more emotional time.

I'm so glad you found this place - it is such a wonderful support. Breast cancer completely shook up our lives, and its quite comforting to be around others who understand, while the rest of the world carries on like everything is normal. And the practical tips are also so useful.
mjm is offline   Reply With Quote