View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Joanne S

Oh my Hermiracles, My heart goes out to you; what a terrible ordeal for you and your hubby. I know it seems things just are not going right for you right now and everything is so overwhelming, but everything will work out for you and your bubbas. You have the will and the strength to get through this, and you will live to make wonderful memories with your family for many many years to come.

It sounds like you were very sensitive to the Herceptin and perhaps they administered too much too fast. I hope it will comfort you a little to know that I, too, had a reaction to my first Herceptin. (I also had a reaction to Taxol the first time too---but not shivering). So I know how so very scary that must have been for you. Just shortly after starting my first Herceptin infusion, I started shivering so uncontrollably hard, it hurt; and my teeth were chattering so loud, I thought they were going to break. The chemo nurses and the doctor came running and shut the IV down while they examined me. I ended up with eight blankets on me and I was making the entire floor shake---no exageration. It took quite a while, but I was fortunate that once I finally started to warm up, they restarted the H IV at a very slow rate (with a high rate of saline), and I did OK after that. And I can gladly say, I never had any reaction to Herceptin like that again; and now, I just completed my 12th month regimine.

It sounds like you had a tremendously severe reaction. I'm glad that you went to the hospital and were observed very closely. All of this is extremely scary, difficult and overwhelming for you right now, but strive to get through this and know in your heart of hearts, you will get through this.

One woman at chemo gave me advice the first time I was there getting Chemo ---she suggested eating/snacking/drinking all the while you are getting all your chemotherapy infusions. I think that this really helped me.

Try to focus on educating yourself as much as you can about your cancer. And if ever you have any doubts about anything, we are here for you to ask away, and never-ever hesitate to see another doctor for a second, and/or third opinion.

May God hold you in his loving and healing arms and lessen all your fears and anxiety,
Hugs,
Feb12,2007...Surg MRM Left & SM Right, reconstruct w/expanders
Mar07-Jun07...Saline Exp
Jun07...Start Tamoxifen
Jun07-Aug07...Rad x 25
Jun07-Oct07...Persistent fevers-unknown origin
Jun07-Nov07...PT for Severe PMPS & Capsular Contracture
Nov07...Surg Capsulectomy, Gel Implants, PMPS pain gone instantly.
Feb08...NED 1st CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb08...2 months post surgery Caps Cont again :(
Mar08...Stop Tamoxifen. Start Arimidex.
Apr08...Sudden high fever, Hosp ICU 10 days, staph infect, emerg surg, implants removed. Outpt IVantibiotics Daily x 6 weeks
Feb11...NED 5th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Feb12...NED 6th CANCERVERSARY!!!!!
Aug12...Spotting. Surg=D&C
Sep12...STAGE IV = RARE BC METS TO UTERUS ILC ER+/PR+/HER2-Negative) (Different BC than originally diagnosed = IDC ER+/PR+/HER2+).
Sep12...Stop Arimidex. Start Afinitor & Aromasin.
Jan13...MRI = no progression no reduction
Apr13...Progression. Stop Afinitor & Aromasin.
Apr13...Start Chemo: Taxol & Carboplatin.
Nov13...Scans & Pelvic 95+% Reduction. Nueropathy>Stop chemo start Fareston.
Jan14...PET scan = no progression stable.
May14...Pelvic > Bleeding & cramps. TMs up.
May14...PET scan = uterine progression :(
May14...Stop Fareston. Start Chemo: Xeloda.

Joanne S is offline   Reply With Quote