View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Becky

Re: Could multivitamins raise breast cancer risk?

This is just another lifestyle thing that is difficult to interupt fully. One thing I don't like about multi's is what really is the RDA of each component. For example, many multi's have vitamin D in them. The RDA is 200iu (some have 400iu). Well, now it is recommended to take 800iu and if I only took 800iu, I am sure that I would not be in the normal range (blood work wise) for vitamin D as I take about 4200iu per day and my levels are 46 (range is 32 - 100) so obviously, for me, my RDA is much higher (blood range in my family is a problem and those who are low or non-existant did get bc so I watch my daughters closely). So, my point is what is my folic acid requirement and if by taking a multi am I overdosing on some stuff and underdosing on others. I think if you eat a really balanced diet, then supplementing with Vitamin D, Omega 3 and perhaps some oddities like mushroom and curcumin would be just fine.

One day we will be like Star Trek where instantly you will be told what to do in regard to your unique genotype.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote