View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #20
R.B.

Depression and herceptin.

HI everybody. This is a very useful thread as it is highlighting what might be another side effect of Herceptin. I am sorry for what you are going through. I have been reading about omega three and six for almost two years now. It is obviously important to have a reasonable varied diet too etc see "Greek Diet" post.

Long chain omega threes (EPA DHA) and depression.

Herceptin by one of its mechanisms works in the fats pathways. I have asked does herceptin block the ability to make long chain fats. I dont know and searches about a year ago did not produce any answers.

Your brain is more than 60% made of fat. The cell walls are made of fat. Fat is the primary building material of the brain. Substandard or wrong building materials = less effective brain. At the most basic level it is that simple.

Your brain needs DHA to function properly. There are a number of trials linking lack of DHA to various forms of diminished neurological function including depression, bi polar disorder etc.

Omega threes reduce the BC risk profile - so inversly BC is assocaited with low omega three as is depression.

There is lots on the NCBI site and you will find quite a few posts on this site using the search above.

Smart Fats M Schmidt, or his newer book are almost compulsory reading. You can find them on Amazon, bookfinder, etc. This is the UK link. S/H is cheaper if an issue.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Buildi...796776&sr=1-27

Finally (and the "shout" is deliberate)

OMEGA THREES CAN ONLY BE GOT FROM DIET.

IF YOU DONT EAT IT YOU AINT GOT IT.

IF YOUR CONVERSION PATHWAYS FOR LONG CHAIN FATS ARE BLOCKED THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN GET THEM IS FOOD.
(prime source oily fish of fish oil or veggy supplements. 2 grams a day of DHA is reported in a trial in women as the level at which uptake of DHA drops off.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT LONG CHAIN FATS PARTICULARLY OMEGA THREES YOUR BODY CANNOT WORK PROPERLY. IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

Please talk to your doctor about dietary change. Fish oil thins blood and may have side effects for a very few.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote