View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Lani

questions

you did not give your mother's age (treatment can vary based on advanced and and concurrent conditions) Also , we can assume her cancer has not spread anywhere else (which you assume because you would have mentioned it if it had--if you are only reporting what you have heard from others, I would make sure to ask that directly--people are often afraid to ask, as they are afraid of the answer)
From my readings of articles on neoadjuvant therapy, a lymph node biopsy is often done to be sure the herceptin had the same effect there as in the breast

I have not read of mastectomies being required after such a great response, but you did not say how large the tumor had been, whether there were multiple tumors. or other factors which might have influenced the oncologist in his/her recommendation.

Does the oncologist who treats your mother only treat breast cancer; does the surgeon who "sort of agreed" with you only do breast cancer surgery or at least a lot of it.

Since your mother is already quite sick, getting a second opinion would perhaps help you to try to figure out what the least traumatic/toxic additional treatment might be so as not to worsen her condition further.

Did they only give herceptin because they worried about her heart? Are they thinking they might need to stop the herceptin soon because of her heart? Are they thinking to remove the breast to avoid radiation therapy?

Is that because she would have trouble getting to the hospital for 33-35 treatments? If that is the problem, there is IORT available on trials where they give on radiation treatment at the time they do surgery ( a lumpectomy) with only that one treatment required. More often it is possible to find a trial of APBI--usually five treatments given over a week's time of either implanted or external beam radiation therapy given after a
lumpectomy.

From what I read, there are alternative, but if she lives in a remote rural area and has no means for transportation or is too sick, this might be what these doctors are keeping in mind.

Certainly sounds like you are doing the right thing by seeking out others experiences and trying to find out the alternatives, if only to inquire with her present doctors if not to get other opinions.

She is lucky to have you!

Hope this helped.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote