View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #406
Mary Jeanne Phillips

Hi Lani, Great survey. Diagnosed in June 2001,Her 2 positive pro.positive, no lymph node involvement but eschemic evidence.Had radiation regime and then 5FU and Cytoxin I think. Mets to liver, lungs, and bones in 2004, then brain mets in 2006, had craiotomy, mets to brain in 07 and 08, had gamma on them (5 tumors in all.) Started Herceptin after craniotomy in 06. Have taken zometa since 04 I think. Took Femara then for only 6 months. that is all the chemo I have done. I started Macrobiotics in 05. Tumors have remained fairly stable except for brain mets.
I didn't think I had any side effects from Herceptin because I got up evry day and didi my life activities. But now that these things are mentioned I realize I have had terrible sinus, splitting nails, (or thin to no nails) hair condtion. RBC holding but not good.My energy levels have been good most of the time. I am a very high energy person, so that is why I have not taken any systemic chemos up until this point. since Herceptin is a targeted treatment, I felt "safe". I do have terible hot flashes but am post menapausal and have had terrible hot floashes for years. That is why I took HRT for 12 years.
I am in the delimma of what to do now with the offer of Tykerb without Xeloda since there is progression in all the tumors and the mets to the brain.
I hope this helps but basically I am thankful for Herceptin and the low side effects for me. I guess I just take the way I feel for granted and have not blamed it on Zometa or Herceptin.
Would love to hear from anyone about Tykerb. Mary Jeanne
Mary Jeanne Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote