Thread: Port Placement
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
patz64

Re: Port Placement

Hi Bonnie, Nancy, Lisa, and Tricia,

Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful.
As for my port...it only hurts a tiny bit now if I move a certain way...usually at night, turning in bed...it pokes me, but no longer a stabbing pain. I was able to go for a nice bike ride yesterday, and it didn't hurt at all...my first bike ride since my surgery! A beautiful day! Today i did the Making Strides for Cancer 3 mile walk...another great day!
As for hair loss: 2 of my friends who have already been through chemo have offered to lend me their scarves. I'm going wig shopping next saturday. Nancy, I think it was you who said you were afraid to wear halos in case the hat fell off? That's the way i feel too, however I'm not too afraid (at least not yet!) to be seen bald. I want to have a wig, but not sure what I will wear mostly. i know a lot of my friends wore scarves more often. It's funny how different we all are. Some people don't want anyone to know they have cancer. I told everyone I know that i have cancer! I like the support they have all given me, but i also like to be a role model, or an inspiration to others, so I want them to see that cancer isn't stopping me from being me. I joined a yoga class for limited mobility, and a painting class....both instructors know I have cancer. Everyone at work knows. And everyone has been wonderful....no pity, just support when I need it. After I get through chemo, I would like to be a patient advocate to help others through similar situations.
I will keep everyone updated on my hair loss and chemo. I'm a little nervous about wednesday, because that's when I get my bone scan and CT scan results. My LNs were negative, but I know that doesn't always mean that there hasn't been some metastasis.
Lisa...did you have your first chemo session? How did it go? How are you feeling? I hope you are doing well, physically and emotionally. The same goes for everyone here! Thank you again for all the support and encouragement!
Pat
5/2011-stereotactic biopsy: stage 0 carcinoma L. breast again, estrogen/progesterone negative. Nobody used the words Her2+ yet.
8/18/2011-travelled to Texas (I live in NJ) for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with DIEP flap. 3 days later, left breast turned blue...had emergency surgery to unclog vessel and try to save the flap. 24 hours after that, had another emergency surgery... took a vein from my left arm and re-routed it to the breast. Saved the breast flap but went into congestive heart failure because of all the IV fluids. Spent 10 days in ICU...8 days on a ventilator. Traumatic experience!!! Then was told it was actually Stage 2, Her2+, and I would need chemo.
Now back in NJ.
10/11/11-port was placed
chemo starting in about 2 weeks
patz64 is offline   Reply With Quote