Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
'lizbeth

Re: Question

Linn65 - let me know what the AFLAC lady says - I'm curious too.

The risk of recurrence is decreased by each treatment, and has a pattern that peaks at different times depending on subtypes. With new FDA approvals for cancer treatment it is tricky to keep up with this.

We can also decrease risk of recurrence with a healthy diet, exercise, meditation, etc. Or increase it with a poor diet, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, pesticides, etc.

I think a practical way of thinking of this is to start counting the point that you became NED as day 1 - which is typically the date of surgery (lumpectomy or mastectomy). If an Axillary Node Dissection is done at a later date that would be Day 1.

Each time you have treatment it decreases your risk of recurrence. So Surgery done - big sigh of relief. Chemo treatment - check, risk reduced, Herceptin treatment - reduced risk, radiation - reduced risk.

Many times it is easier to explain the reduction as linear. But Hopeful's post about a study on subtypes in early cancer showed a peak in her2 recurrences at approx. 20 months and 5 - 7 years.

I'm hoping that these studies bring a fresh look to the management of follow up and that in the next few years we can either receive a vaccine or Herceptin boosters.

I had heard that at the 5 year mark our risk of cancer equals the general population.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote