View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
roz123

Re: Breast Reconstruction: Bravia Procedure-looks way easier and less painful

hi ladies
i asked my PS (here in canada) about this. He is head of plastics division for 3 teaching hospitals. He said he knows of this procedure very well (and the miami doc who invented it) and said yes it is too good to be true. He explained that the long term results are not good because they are just transfering fat which can be re-absorbed into the system. With traditional flap procedures they are taking fat and blood supply to keep the tissue alive. It is a very lengthy process with little proven track record. It may be the wave of the future but right now (from his explanation) there are no long term results data. Now keep in mind that this is coming from a doctor who practices in canada which is VERY CONSERVATIVE in using new techniques because of public healthcare. Until a procedure is deemed to be BETTER than an exisiting procedure, the government will not pay for it (and this can take years) In the U.S. many PS offer different services to attract customers. For example, alloderm is still only used in clinical trial in canada whereas it is used frequently in the US for breast reconstruction
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote