View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #15
weezie1053

Melanie, I would like to echo, everybody responds different to chemo, and let your body be your guide.

Now that I have said that I too worked throughout my chemo. I am type-A personality, and it was very hard for me to let go. I had to learn to lean on others who previously leaned on me. I work with 7 gals, and they were amazing. Also, when I returned to work, I found it much easier to delegate.

I won rounds 1 and 2 of the AC/Cytoxin combo, but I lost rounds three and four ending up in the hospital because I pushed myself too hard. (Murphy's law: everything that could go wrong did, including low blood counts, bronchitis, irregular heart rythym, etc.) Also chose to be treated, during this setback, at a local hospital because it was convenient, and I should have bit the bullet and travelled 2 hours up the road to my primary provider, UVA. I then jumped back in the ring for the weekly Taxol. I would have the treatment on Friday, and then take off the weekend and longer if needed. I have to admit by week 12 of Taxol, I was feeling more fatigue than in the first 9 weeks of treatment. I have been working in my industry for 26 years; however, I have worked for my present employer for only 4 years. It was not in my nature to put my feet up--not yet.

I also was considered somewhat of a phenomen in the Fusion Center because I drove myself to my Taxol/Herceptin treatments. The Onc cut back my benedryl after my first week of Taxol to see if I could tolerate it so I could drive. I did, and this allowed me to stick with UVA for my Taxol and Herceptin treatments. Their medical team is superb!

Words of advise. Obtain a copy of your company's disability policy and procedures contract directly from your provider--not just from your HR department. Find out who their broker is in case you have questions that you do not feel are being adequately answered by your company. I found out way too soon that I knew more about the provisions of our company disability plan than my payroll and/or HR depts. Do not leave anything to interpretation. My employer has 80+ properties and thousands of employees, but rarely do they have an employee "work" while on LTD disability. In fact, our HR VP advised I was her first. They are accustomed to employees taking the leave of absence. Working while on disability is the minority. Generally, there are provisions that allow you to work while on both short term and long term disability. As long as I was absent 20% or more of an average monthly work calendar, I was eligible for LTD. I was compensated by LTD on those days I was absent. I kept a calendar tracking all of my time so as not to jeopardize my eligibility. I had a HR gal tell me I was going to have to pay cobra for my health ins premiums while on LTD which turned our to be erroneous. As long as I continued to work while on LTD, I did not have to pay any additional cost for my health ins premiums. I was also told by the same HR gal that our company has the right in our State to terminate at will anybody that is in a management position and is unable to return to work after 90 days. I took that one all the way to the upper management, and his response was "over my dead body."

Chemo is accumulative, and you will need to become familiar with your blood counts after each visit. I could almost tell if I was going to have an off week, if my counts were low. I only missed one treatment out of 16, and that was due to my hospitalization following week three of AC/Cytoxin.

I was blessed in that my employer was very supportive. Technology also allowed me to work some from home. The flip side of the coin is that they expect Superwoman to always be soaring, and some times I had to throw in the towel. I finished my chemo in Feb, and my last Herceptin treatment was 2 weeks ago. I do not have the energy I had 18 months ago, but I am getting there. Most of my side affects have faded. My Onc once told me I was a textbook for side affects, but fortunately, most of them are history. I have read it takes about 12 months after the last Herceptin treatment to get that "good as new" mojo back. If I was ever to have a recurrence, I do not know if I would choose to continue working as I am not in the same shape I was 18 months ago. I hope I do not have to make that decision, but it is one I contemplate in my own mind every now and then. I gained 20 pounds, and I know that has adversely affected my stamina. Next week...Weight Watchers, here I come!

Good luck and get a copy of your company's contract with your disability provider. After I got my copy from the disability provider, my company posted both plans on our HR database so others in my company would not have to search for the answers as I did. Again, my company continues to be very supportive of me, but it has been a learning experience for more than just me.

Good luck and take a day at a time...

Louise
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote