View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Ceesun

Wink Ceesun update and (genetic testing) per Believe's Request

Hi All, Just want you to know I am feeling better emotionally and really appreciate all of the heartfelt comments on an earlier post. Since that slight progression in the lung met, my onc has increased me to 4 and now 5 tablets of tykerb along with the xeloda I have been on since the last couple of years. Not sure just yet when he will do a scan to check things. But pleased he seems to feel there are options should I need them. Since I had thyroid cancer 28 years ago and then breast back in 2003, my onc recommended I have genetic testing back in 04 which I did. It came back BRCA1neg. and BRCA2 with a variant which they thought was not harmful but could not verify. Yesterday while driving through the parking lot at Home Depot(what timing!) I got a call from the genetic counselor telling me that I am now classified as BRCA2negative for sure--that variant has proven to be harmless. I was pleased for my daughters and of course do not know what they have inherited from my hubby's side. Of course there is family history besides me, 2 aunts, 1 cousin but my aunts tested negative for brca as well. Anyway in my case, I do believe my cancers were both induced from radiation to the thymus as an infant more of an environmental cause. But I am relieved for my daughters and I guess this all proves research marches on....a question has been resolved after 5 years. xo Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote