View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
hutchibk

I have been on 'Herceptin only' for 3 months now...

1. Acid reflux cleared up after I discontinued Carbo and Taxol at the end of January. It didn't go away immediately, but within a month or so. I took Nexium during chemo and for the month or so after - apparently it not only relieves the reflux, but it also heals the stomach and esophagus from the ravages of reflux. Seemed to have worked for me. I have a very small susceptibility to it still if I eat anything too late in the evening that is too rich or too spicy. And red wine too close to bedtime can also stir it up a bit. I just avoid all of those things and don't eat too late - and I have had no problems at all.

2. Sinus issues and watery eyes cleared up, too, after discontinuing chemo. I did get them a little during my first 'Herceptin only' treatment, but it was apparently an allergic reaction to the Herceptin... and 25mg of Benadryl before every infusion takes care of it now.

3. My only lasting side effect is upon waking I get the 'arthritic fingers' in both hands and still have the numb, stiff toes on both feet. Usually takes a few minutes of finger stretchs and walking around to get them going and then all is well for the rest of the day. I didn't know for sure that this was from Herceptin, but now that I am reading that others suffer from it - I am pretty sure that's the explanation.

I agree Judy - I would take these little annoyances anyday over the alternative. Thank goodness for Herceptin!
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote