View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Becky

Dear Kris

I had my ovaries removed 2 years ago at age 46. It was about at my one year cancerversary. I removed them for many reasons. Firstly, my onc suggested that I get a baseline uterine ultrasound because he wanted to put me on tamoxifen. I did this even though I was in chemopause and my bloodwork said I was postmenopausal (although prior to chemo, I had my period regularly and on time). This ultrasound showed that my uterine lining was very,very thick (15mm when under 5mm is normal) and that I had 2 "objects" on my left ovary. My onc was always against me getting my ovaries removed even though prior to this, I wanted to because my paternal grandmother (and one of her sisters) died from ovarian cancer AND I am not highly ER+ and I am PR neg so tamoxifen tends not to work very well with that pathology (especially if Her2+ as well).

One month later I got another ultrasound with the same results and had to have a uterine biopsy (negative). My gyne said - lets do the oophorectomy. You are somehow feeding the uterus with estrogen somehow and then a day or 2 later, I GOT my PERIOD back!!!

So I did it. The "objects" on my ovary were blood filled cysts - I was probably trying to ovulate during a chemo session and everything just shut down. I got a D&C at the same time - no uterine cancer for sure (and I just got re-ultrasounded this June and my lining is 3.5mm - well in the normal range). And although I am BRCA 1&2 negative - ovarian cancer does obviously run in my family and I have greatly reduced that risk (and ovarian is not as easy to beat as breast cancer is).

So, that's why I did what I did. I take Arimidex now (since 2 weeks after the oophorectomy) and I am happy with my choice.

I hope this helps. Have a nice weekend.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote