View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
rebecca0623

I can only chime in and concur with what has been said by others. I was fortunate that I found this site prior to my surgery and my chemo consults (I went to 2 oncologists to find out their recommended txt, meet their staff and look at chemo rooms) so I think I was well informed about treatment options and side effects when I went to look for treatments. I was same as you - smaller tumor, grade 3. I was offered FEC then herceptin or TCH. One of the oncologists said, as did yours, node negative didn't really mean no cancer cells in nodes with our kind of aggressive disease, just meant not seen by pathologists! I thought that made sense to me. Because of this site and the greata information available here, I opted for the TCH to get herceptin early and perhaps lower chance of heart "events". I have 6 rounds of TCH with weekly herceptin in between. I was ready for many more side effects than I got and the peace of mind that I am doing everything I can is worth it for me (and my husband). The worst thing for me so far has been the port (necessary certainly but I hate it) and the neupogen shots between treatments because of my white blood cells. I have missed work only one day other than the big treatment days. "mildly flu-like" as it has been described here certainly describes my experience on most days - but right before the next TCH treatment (3 weeks out) I feel as close to normal as I can remember. Please keep us updated on what you decide and you will find great support and information here throughout your journey. Welcome.
HER2 +, invasive ductal carcinoma
Quadrantectomy right on 7/30/08
Path report, all 3 nodes taken were clear!!!!!!
Lymphatic/vascular invasion and sent out BRCA testing
Port in on 9/2/08. Chemo began 9/3/08. TCH (MUGA wrong - echocardiogram says 65% cardiac MRI 59% 9/10/98 elevated liver enzymes, PET scan 9/16/08 all clear.
TC ended 12/17/08
Port blood clot and hosp. 1/2/09
radiation begins 1/8/09

BRCA testing done - results NEGATIVE!

cardiologist said go back to coreg as it helps counteract heart effects of herceptin and slowly increase dosage - now 40mg daily.
rebecca0623 is offline   Reply With Quote