View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #22
lovey

Re: Tykerb-Only Treatment

Hi daughter 1,
I had a long story but will try to make it short. I did dose densed AC for 2 cycle but I developed heart toxicity ( troponin test +), my oncologist stopped that to avoid further damage as I will need good cardiac function for herceptin. Then I was given TCH for 2 cycles. I became breathless even doing mild exertion and having central chest pain . I was hospitalized and my CT thorax shows extensive consolidation. I was put on strong IV antibiotics for 2 weeks and since my throat culture positive for candida , I was also given IV fluconazole for 2 weeks. However my breathlessness got worse so I had broncoscopy and biopsy which shows interstitial pneumonitis. Subsequently, I was given steroid infusion for 3 days followed by high dose oral steroid, my lungs function got better n better and I was able to stop prednisolone after 1&1/2 years. My oncologist suggested tykerb/xeloda since I didn't complete my AC and TCH and my cancer was grade3. I agreed to it since my doctor refused to give me radiotherapy in view of severity of my lungs condition. I hope your mum will have a fast recovery in her lung function, it takes time but it gets better...
lovey is offline   Reply With Quote