Thread: Mets to Brain
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
Survivor2be

Re: Mets to Brain

[B]Joan[B], Thank you for the concern. My primary oncologist are at a community center which does not have targeted imaging. They are Texas Oncology, which is part of the MD Anderson network, so they follow all the MD Anderson info. I went to my second opinion at a research/teaching hospital that is NCI accredited to get a different perspective. They did give the option of targeted therapy, as well as WBRT and watchful waiting.

I had actually already made the decision to do the WBRT when I read my molecular study report on my tumor. It talks about the specific biomarkers for my tumor and what drugs will work the best. Some take-home points for me were that my tumor markers indicate early recurrence and shorter disease-free survival.

While I don't believe that that will affect how long I'm gonna live (that's only up to God, same as it was before I had BC), it does make me want to be as aggressive as possible with both medical treatment and my "way of living, or terrain" to help make sure that recurrence risk is as low as possible and that I won't regret NOT doing something earlier.

It helps me to see that you have not had a brain recurrence in 3 years: Congrats!
Tissue expanders and fill
Radiation to breast and axilla

Breast recurrence on radiation: 9/2011 now HER2 +
This time HER2 positive, started herceptin

Brain metastasis: 10/2011
Surgery to remove lesion 11/2011

All cancer gone 11/17/2011

Confident I will outlive my oncologist!!!
Survivor2be is offline   Reply With Quote