View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
Barbara2

Hi, Joannie, I finished my chemo about 6 months before you did. Strongly Her2+, 1 node+, stage 2b, double mastectomy. Never did have Herceptin as part of the first treatment (6 CEF), but started it 2 years and 2 months after my last treatment.

In hindsight, I know that the treatment I received does not appear to fare as well as the TAC. I wanted to do something to help give my system a boost in fighting stray cells, so I opted to go with the herceptin for 1 year, which I started this past May. It is going well and I have no regrets. And yes, herceptin is a breath of fresh air in comparison to chemo. Some people do have some side affects, and I have, too, but they seem to be much smaller in magnitude than the chemo concerns.

I remember someone posting here several months ago, who said she had asked 4 "experts" in the field, what their opinion was of receiving late herceptin, and should it be combined with Taxol. As I recall, this is what she found out: Dr. #1 said he wouldn't recommend any further treatment. Dr. #2 and #3 recommended Herceptin only, and Dr. #4 recommended Herceptin and Taxol.

So that really cleared things up, didn't it!! Who knows how much it will help us when there are no trials or tests that can show benefits or no benefits? No one, as of now. I chose Herceptin so as not to live with the "what if's," should it return.

In prayer, I ask for guidance in making these tough choices. Knowing that the Lord will be there through thick and thin, helps to bring about confidence in the choices I make.

Blessings to you,
Barbara
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote