View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
jml

Re: Anyone on metformin?

I was given a prescription for Metformin after a year of treatment (2002-2003) and all the steriods, premeds, etc caused me to be insulin resistent. NOT pre-diabetic, just insulin resistent. It was prescribed by an endocrinologist.
I've been on/off the drug ever since, on occassion d/c'ing use because I've been on clinical trials the past year, and also because it can cause major diarrhea when you first start up the drug. If you're already have a problem with that, as I had, it's pretty hard to tolerate.
I'm hoping to return to using it, but since I've just started Halaven, I'd like to wait to settle into this regimen before starting up again. My oncologist is aware that I have taken Metformin in the past & is supportive of my continuing. I look forward to starting back on the drug because I believe (& have believed for a long time) that it should be a part of our regimen to control this disease.
I don't know that there are any oncs out there specifically writing scripts for Metformin, but maybe you can see an Endocrinologist for evaulation?

Good Luck & Keep the Faith!

Jml
jml is offline   Reply With Quote