View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Lani

Thumbs up Re: Nine years her2 positive !!!!

Congratulations on your anniversary and for sneaking into treatment just in time when Stage IIIc was recognized.

If you don't mind my asking (since you are a breast cancer researcher, you probably won't), did you try to find out if your mother's bc was her2+ as well?

There is an X-linked her2+bc in mice related to FoxP3. I have posted on it before(article out of U of Michigan) and am interested if there is such an entity in humans as well.

Since her2 testing is so new (relatively) it is hard to know, but some of these specimens may still be out there to test.

Along the same vein, while at ASCO I spoke with an Italian from Dublin studying why some Stage IVs survive 10+ more years (looking at gene expression profiles etc) to see if we can discover why they do so well. In his subset in Ireland, they constituted 9% of the patients with Stage IV her2+ bc.

I am hoping those treated at non-academic hospitals (obviously not you) will ask to have their tumor specimens before it hits the 5 year mark (when they are legally allowed to put them in the trash bin/ incinerator/etc) so if this researcher or others needs a larger number of patients to study (9% of her2+ patients is not that many patients) they could reach out to her2support.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote