View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 01:19 PM   #38
Lucy

Re: Cognitive Rehabilitation

Rhondalea let me add my thanks to you for starting this thread. Fortunately I have doctors who recognize chemobrain. Unfortunately they don't want to do any tests unless it hangs on for a while. In the meantime I've had to return to work somewhat impaired. The medical team at work is aware of the issue and has indicated they will go to bat for me, should there be "performance issue" talks about me but I didn't share that information with my boss because I met him for the first time when I returned to work last month. Can't you just hear that conversation? "Hi, I'm your new admin. I look forward to working with you. Oh, and by the way I'm having some cognitive issues due to my cancer treatment so you shouldn't get upset if I really munk up stuff I do for you, you know, assuming I remember you asked me to do it, k? Thanks. Great to meet you by the way."

I've taken a couple of notes from this though and will discuss with my PCP when I see her on Tuesday and then again with my oncologist when I see her next month. They may want to wait for a while before they do any cognitive testing but I had some bloodwork done recently and my B12 levels were very high (I do take a supplement and everyone thinks that's the culprit - myself included - but I'm letting all my doctors know because I'd rather follow up now and there be no issue than just make assumptions and let it go when there could be a problem that requires fast action.) and the oncologist's nurse sent me an email saying "Increased vitamin B12 levels can lead to several metabolic disorders that primarily affect cognitive functions leading to dementia." Makes me think that's a good reason to follow up sooner rather than later.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote