View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #32
AlaskaAngel

Groundhog day 17

Hi Rich and Jackie,

LizM was the one who suggested considering the type of calories, too. The web site I listed for StephN that gives the glycemic index for foods also gives the fullness factor for the food, so I'm going to see if I can use that and combine Liz's suggestion with your's and Rich's to see if the type of food calories (glycemic value) makes a difference for me.

The green tea is a problem in that I gave up caffeine 5 years ago and would not want to restart it.

There is one neighbor who might be willing to walk together if our schedules don't conflict. I used to work where she works, which involved a lot of work outdoors, so we share that history. But at 17 days of walking I have not seen a single biped yet on my morning hikes.

The main blood sugar raising carbs in my diet so far would be the breakfast, which is home-made slow oatmeal (moderate glycemic index) with a dozen raisins and a dozen craisins (high glycemic index). I do eat bread at lunchtime but only whole grain, which has a low glycemic load. I haven't eaten things like any noodles or corn (or any corn product) in several years, although I do eat a small portion of brown rice about once every other week.

I am going to have to use weight training of some kind very soon, as we will be traveling and there won't be as much opportunity for daily scheduled walking.

But the one question no one has responded to yet is how to deal with the rare time period when I can't do any form of exercise, such as a day when we are traveling; often I am working as we go and there is zero time for any type of exercise beyond what could be done in a car seat or in a plane seat. Is the only answer that I should not eat that day? As you can see from the first 15 days, it is not an option to eat and not exercise every single day. That was my downfall last winter. I continued to diet conscientiously but exercised less often, and I gained weight immediately that did not come off at all with months of steady exercise and diet this summer.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote