View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Chelee

Recommendation from my 2nd opinion...

I'm still making lots of calls & am trying to tie up loose ends so don't have time to go into everything...but I did see Dr. Slamon as you all know by now.

My appt. went well and it was so nice to meet him in person and get a treatment option from someone I can trust! We discussed some things and he immediately wanted me to get into the T-DM1 trial. He seemed very excited about the results of this and said he did not want to see me on chemo of any kind. So I've spent the day trying to see where I can get into this if at all possible. One place just happens to be where I am currently going for treatment...but they have not called me back.

I just called Genentech & she sees no openings near me either. The other places that were mentioned to me are more the 50 miles away...so 100 plus round trip. I am in a hurry to find out if I can get into this because my onc had already given me a loading dose of herceptin which would disqualify me for the T-DMI study if it's been within 21 days of starting. But Dr. Slamon said I'd be fine because I'm not due for my next dose of herceptin till this coming Monday. But I seem to fit the criteria to join this if I can find an opening and I am so praying that I can.

I'm thinking I would do well on this study because I just found out my tumor markers for the 1st time in a year have went down since I did the loading dose of herceptin alone. (So that shows me I do respond to herceptin.) Which means the T-DM1 should work great for me So please keep those fingers crossed because I need to find a study thats still open. I'm update more later...I really need to continue with my calls. But Dr. Slamon is such an awesome onc/human being.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote