View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
gdpawel

This Is Unsatisfactory

[A comment posting by a Mike on the Medical News Today on Article Opinions in relation to Dr. Anil Potti Resigns From Duke University Amid Study Reliability Concerns.]

I have never been in a lab either. However, my sister was one of the first patients admitted to this study. She received a phone call from one of the Doctors in the program three nights ago apologizing for the news about Dr. Potti. The next day, we found out that the issue started last July. She never received an official notification from Duke, even though she has continued to be seen and treated there since July. I find it hard to believe that Dr. Potti credentials were not checked regardless of what the Duke President says. My sister and I both worked at Duke University for quite a while. Our Father retired from Duke University.

No one in my family could ever afford to attend Duke University, but, we did contribute to the well being of the faculty , staff and students. My sister is devastated because of this mess. I believe that if any of you had a family member or friend go through this, you might look at it differently.

Technically, I do not care about peer reviews, papers published, lab protocols, face value acceptance of resumes, or, passing the buck.

What I do expect is that an institution such as Duke needs to step up. I have seen a ton of inter-net stories and after the fact comments concerning this issue with Doctor Potti, Duke University, Eli Lilly, Glaxosmithkline, (Dr. Potti received thousands of dollars numerous times to speak at functions held by these pharmaceutical companies on this genome project) in the last few days. The fingers are pointing everywhere.

Yes, this could eventually affect the University, the Potti backers, the Federal grant money applied to the project, reputations of both the University and it's administration. I know from personal experience that 99.9% of the general employees and mid-management staff do a great job. Most of them care deeply about providing the best service possible to the public, students and faculty of the University.

The sad part is that no one has reached out to the patients that are ultimately the most affected people of all. I do not have great assets or influence. I will however do everything in my power to ensure that ultimately someone at Duke is held responsible, and, that all of the patients that were boondoggled by this idiot are not forgotten.

My sister was under the impression until a few days ago that she was fortunate to be included in this study, that her cancer was being aggressively treated based on the hype that the University and it's staff had given her. She has been in this program since the beginning. My sister has been fighting cancer for about six years total, had surgeries, chemo and everything else prescribed to her based on erroneous data. Cancer is a terrible disease and fighting it is hard enough. Add to that the emotional ups and downs that go with it, she did not need this to add to her struggle.

Although I was not educated at Duke, I did receive education on the treatment of people. Duke University, this is totally unsatisfactory.

Mike

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/208795.php
gdpawel is offline   Reply With Quote