View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
R.B.

Beta Glucans yeast based may assist monoclonal antibody therapies

HI All

I was a at a conference on fats which included a lecture on Beta-Glucans, which was highly thought provoking.

I found this link that sets out the core what was said.

http://www.biosolutions.info/2010/02...tem-video.html

Abstract

"Beta-glucans seem to make the immune system work better without becoming overactive. In addition to enhancing the activity of the immune system, beta-glucans also reportedly lower elevated levels of LDL cholesterol, aid in wound healing, help prevent infections, and have potential as an adjuvant in the treatment of cancer."

Yeast apparently contains the most effective beta glucans for activating the innate immune system. Apparently those in mushrooms are much less effective, and the impression given was that those in some cereals again have limited effects.

It was suggested that natural yeasts are found on foods, but our treatment of vegetables with bleach may destroy them, and hence our greater need for beta glucans.

I am trying to find out if standard brewers yeast contains the relevant beta glucans. There are some supplements products with a range of prices.

I will try and find and post links to some of the trials cited in the lecture in the next few days, including one suggesting the beta glucans increased the effect of monoclonal treatments.

As always consult your medical advisor about supplementation.

Last edited by R.B.; 09-25-2010 at 10:51 AM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote