View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Bill

Hi Elaine! You know I love you. (yes, this is the right time to cringe, and say, "uh oh") I respectfully disagree with your comment as to wether or not a priest/rabbi/cleric of any sort should be forced to stay single. Being "forced" to stay single is not the way to look at it. One, they took a vow, in most cases, I can't speak for all religions, to remain celibate and devote their lives to serving a higher power, in most cases. (I know Buddhism is different) Two, if they change their minds, or their life circumstances change at some point, they should step down from their positions or leave the religion. You don't go into the game, agree to the rules, and then halfway through try to change them to suit you personally. In my opinion, that's one of the ongoing problems with our society/culture. More and more people see rules and laws as negotiable. If the tenets of a certain religion dictate celibacy, the individual should follow those rules that he/she agreed to, or step down. You don't break the rules or try to change the religion. These "rules" have been in place for many thousands of years. Just my opinion, and peace to you, Elaine.