View Single Post
Old 07-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #51
julierene

I guess my point was that I watched my mother "juice" herself to her grave - thinking it would extend her life. She got 4 months, and the doctors thought she would have had 6. She was a healthy 33 year old woman with a good BMI and on a healthy food kick like you wouldn't believe... Then her son died at age 12 from Stage 4 Rhabdomyosarcoma, that was originally Stage 2 when he was 5. Then I got cancer at 28, early stage 2a and I was healthy... Then my daughter got cancer at age 5, stage 2 Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma... then she had a local recurrance. She was our healthiest eater, and of course at a normal BMI. Then I had a recurrance, and BOOM stage 4 for me. Then we found out that we had Li-Fraumeni syndrome. Back in 1991, they told us our p53 gene was normal. Now they told us our p53 gene was mutated. The far end of the gene was where the mutation was, which they didn't know about in 1991. So I just hesitate to hear so many hold out hope that diets were the cause of their cancers. For years I tried to "do the right thing" to prevent cancer. I asked the doctor in tears, why I couldn't have prevented it when I was doing so many things to prevent it. He said "Your risk was 80% of developing cancer before the age of 50. In your family, I would guess that it would be more like 80% before the age of 30. With odds like that, diet wouldn't prevent your cancer. I've seen hundreds people try to prevent cancer with diet, knowing they had the 'cancer gene', and failure was almost 100%." His field of study was Brazilian children with adrenal cortical carcinoma with a p53 mutation called Arg337Cys. He also studies genetic retinal cancer that almost 100% get before the age of 5 with the gene. You can probably see now why I am on the other side of the fence. It failed for me, my mother, my brother, my daughter, and probably will fail for my other 2 children, and hundreds of patients of my daughter's doctor. We have all tried to eat the "right diet" and it has failed us all. I think the only case I know of is an author with stage 4 breast cancer, named Jane Plant, who has been cancer free for a while now after practically eliminating cow and dairy products. And then I guess I know about Lance Armstrong, but he ate like 5 apple fritters every day...
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote