View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
NEDenise

Re: Hospital AGAIN! But you'll never guess why!

Friends,
I'm a public school teacher. My contract generously allows me 100 additional sick days when I have an extended illness - that way the 90 waiting period is not actually without pay. Unfortunately the contract stipulates that I can only use that benefit once every 2 calendar years. This takes the place of other employees being able to donate their extra days...and it hasn't been 2 years since I returned to work. The other stipulation is that before those "extra" 100 days kick in...you have to exhaust all your accumulated sick days. I should have had plenty of days to cover all my chemos and scans...but not with this whole back thing thrown in there too!

Oh! and that just keeps getting better and better too. Just got the new MRI results from last night. Good news and bad news...
Good news...the disk ant L5-S1 is only partially herniated...only moderate stenosis is likely.
Bad news...the disks at L3-L4 and L4-L5 are completely obliterated...gone..."stenosis is severe in these regions". I could have told them that, and it wouldn't have cost the insurance company 10 grand to find out!

As far as appealing to my "boss"...my principal doesn't out rank Satan's spawn. The Superintendent of Schools does...but she doesn't take calls from, or meet with, staff...ever. One receives a form email response referring your question or concern to Satan. Add to that, that we are involved in a fairly contentious contract negotiation...and the school board has hired a lawyer/negotiator who has presided over strikes in 100% of the contract negotiations he's been involved with in the past 10 years...and I really don't see HR bending the rules to help me.

It makes me sad and angry at the same time that I LOVE my job...as soon as the 3 week rehab from my back is over I could do my job happily and well again...but I'll likely have to be on disability for the rest of the year instead...because I need a handful of unpaid days to get chemo and scans...and she won't grant them. So ridiculous. So frustrating. So sad.

Ah well...one major problem at a time. It's days like these I wish I had a relative who was a lawyer...some one to write a firm letter, or make a well worded phone call to scare Satan into doing the right thing for a change. That's been the only thing that has worked so far. It's when the school district attorney tells her that what she's doing is leaving the district vulnerable to legal action that she does the right thing.

Can't remember which one of you wise ladies pointed this out...but I agree...Karma is out there...and I believe there is a special corner of hell reserved for those who are mean to sick people.

Thanks, as always for your love and support. Wouldn't want to even try to face this %$#* without you, my friends! Sending lts of love to you!
Denise
4/12/11-A/C x 4, then T/H x 4, H only,Q3 weeks
8/26/11 finished Taxol!!!
10/7/11 mastectomy/DIEP recon
11/11 radiation x28
1/12/12 1st CANCER-VERSARY!
1/12 Low EF/Herceptin "Holiday" :(
2/12 EF up - Back on Herceptin, heart meds
4/2/1212 surgery to repair separated incision from DIEP recon
6/8/12 Return to work :)
6/17/12 Fall, shatter wrist,surgery to repair/insert plate :(
7/10/12 last Herceptin
7/23/12 Brain Mets %$&#! 3cm and 1cm
8/10/12 Gamma knife surgery, LOTS of steroids;start H/Tykerb
8/23/12 Back to work
12/20/12 Injure back-3 weeks in wheel chair
1/12/13 2nd CANCER-VERSARY!
1/14/13 herniate disk in back - surgery to repair
1/27/13 Radiation necrosis - edema in brain - back on steroids - but not back to work - off balance, poor cordination in right arm
5/3/13 Start Avastin to shrink necrosis
5/10/13 begin weaning steroids
6/18/13 Brain MRI - Avastin seems to be working!
6/20/13 quarterly CT - chest, abdomen, pelvis - All Clear!
7/5/13 finally off steroids!!
7/7/13 joined the ranks of the CHEMO NINJAS I am now Tekuto Ki Ariku cancer assassin!
7/13/13 Symptoms return - back on steroids
7/26/13 Back on Avastin - try again!
8/26/13 Not ready to return to classroom yet :( But I CAN walk without holding onto things! :)
9/9/13 Brain MRI - fingers crossed
“ Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds you down or polishes you up is for you, and you alone, to decide. ” – Cavett Robert
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote