View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #20
Westcoastgirl

Re: Do you get scans with your quarterly checks?

I have hip pain on one side and went to the physio therapist who diagnosed bursitis. I also tried an acupuncturist. I found their treatments did very little good and that stretching the hip methodically and doing yoga help the most. At night I sleep with a pillow between my legs until I get fed up with it being there but find it eases the pain in bed.

As far as reconstruction I am one month out from implants. I waited two years after diagnosis. The unaffected side is lovely but there was a lot more skin left. The side with breast cancer had less skin and is tight compared to the other side but the ps says we need to wait three months to see the "final" results. Already I see an improvement. I also had radiation so expect the one breast to be a little higher and a little firmer as that is what I have read, but am ever hopeful. So far so good but the jury remains out on this operation as to whether it was worth it. I do have to say looking down and seeing flesh is a delightful feeling. It was more painful than I had expected however but the worst is over. Because I had enough skin left the ps went directly to implants, skipping the expanders, and I am not sure that was the wisest decision for the bc side. All the best, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote