View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
LizzElliot

Re: Nipple sparing -- risky or safe?

thank you both. I spent the evening reading and I guess NS is kind of new. But it surprises me that my doc thinks I'm a candidate since my tumor was Grade 3 and HER2. I'm reading those are kind of warning signs to not do, perhaps...

And I suppose I had Nipple Sparing surgery somewhat confused with the "reconstruction" of a nipple and areola later (-- presumably by the Plastic Surgeon at 2nd surgery when he switches the spacer for the implant from what I can tell...?)

Is it that the Nipple Sparing Surgery part is done by the breast surgeon, while performing mastectomy -- ie: that process is more driven by breast surgeon expertise?

Either way, I'm calling my surgeon today to let her know I don't feel I need Nipple Sparing procedures. I'm perfectly fine with nipple and areola reconstruction later on.
As it stands now in my mind, I probably won't even do the nipple and areola reconstruction.

Yes, that headdlight thing! Thanks CRB for reminding me what the term is. ha ha. And as for being in a gym and showering, I'm really not concerned with that aspect of not having a nipple or areola. I think it is just fine if women know I went through it if it causes more awareness!
LizzElliot is offline   Reply With Quote