View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
LizzElliot

Nipple sparing -- risky or safe?

May I get your thoughts, experience or any stats you've seen on nipple-sparing vs. not?
And also, any of the same on risks of doing double mastectomy when there is no currently detectable cancer in the other breast?

The reason I ask --

Surgeon asked me if I wanted nipple-sparing for my upcoming mastectomy. I hadn't really even thought about it. I've always worn padded bras since I personally am not a fan of the nipples popping out under my shirt.
But at the same time, I'm not opposed to the idea of nipple-sparing in that anything that makes things visually less different for me may perhaps have a psychological advantage. Again, I don't know...I'm not attached one way or the other.

Anyway, a friend just wrote to me that nipple-sparing has been shown to increase odds of a reoccurrence, which of course, I don't want.

And on the double-mastectomy, while my oncologist and surgeon support me in wanting a double mastectomy and believe it makes perfect sense given my family history, etc., when I met with me oncologist the first time, she mentioned that while she is in full support of double for me, she also wanted me to know that is not an assurance that another B/C would not occur in the other breast, but would effectively, then, push it further into the chest or body. ie: making it more complicated to remove surgically. I don't think she said this to scare me, but just to be thorough and offer all sides of what the current trends may or may not be.

Please, any or all who can comment, I would so appreciate! I hope this is not a redundant question!

Thank you!
lizz
LizzElliot is offline   Reply With Quote