Thread: any opinions?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 08:22 AM   #8
jessica

Hi Kathy-I'm so sorry you're having difficulty finding a cocktail that works for you.Keep the faith, stay strong...it's just around the corner, I know it!
As far as a second opinion, I don't know that you need to go through the formalities of seeing another doc at another facility, etc.You already know so much about this disease and treatment.If you like your current onc and feel confident that s/he is searching for every option for you, clinical trials, as well as all the information that will come your way via these boards, I wouldn't bother.I went up to NYC for a 2nd opinion from Larry Norton-head of breast oncology @Memorial Sloan Kettering-and I didn't learn a thing I didn't already know.
Also, have you heard of a test called a Chemo-Sensitivity Assay?It tests different types of chemo & chemo-combos on biopsied tumor tissue to see which drugs will or will not be effective.
Actually, I understand that it's a better indicator of what will NOT work that what will.Atleast you won't waste time w/combos that may not work for you.I think you'd have to biopsy new sample from the liver lesion, but I don't know for sure.My onc says she uses this test when her pt has already been exposed to number of different combos.
Hope this info is helpful.Hang in there Kathy.I'm keeping you in my prayers, as always.
Jessica